Durex Recalls Batch Of Condoms- And The Reason Is A Hoot
Tesco has recalled two brands of Durex condoms after they failed a “burst test.”
Posting signs in its windows, Tesco urged shoppers to check batch codes on packs and the individual foil wrapping of Durex’s non-latex Real Feel and Latex Free condoms.
Real Feel 12 packs with the batch code 1000444370 and expiry date February 2021, and Latex Free 18 packs with the batch code 1000430479 and expiry date January 2021, have not passed shelf-life durability tests. These condoms have a higher than normal chance of bursting during sex.
Customers who purchased one of the recalled batches can return them for a full refund, Tesco said.
“Our condoms are intended to provide a method of contraception and prevent the transmission of sexually transmitted infections through a non-latex barrier that offers a benefit to consumers sensitive to latex,” Durex said in a statement.
“Only for the batches of condoms affected by this issue, there could be an increase in the number of condoms that burst during application or use.”
Other batches currently on the market in the UK and Ireland have also been affected.
Working closely with the relevant regulatory authorities, Durex has recalled the following Real Feel and Latex Free batches:
- Durex Real Feel 6 Pack, Batch Number 1000438054, Expiry Date Jan-2021
- Durex Real Feel 12 Pack, Batch Number 1000474804, Expiry Date Feb-2021
- Durex Latex Free 12 Pack, Batch Number 1000444367, Expiry Date Feb-2021
- Durex Latex Free 12 Pack, Batch Number 1000433145, Expiry Date Jan-2021
- Durex Real Feel 12 Pack, Batch Number 1000419930, Expiry Date Jan-2021
- Durex Real Feel 12 Pack, Batch Number 1000444367, Expiry Date Feb-2021
- Durex Real Feel 12 Pack, Batch Number 1000416206, Expiry Date Dec-2020
- Durex Real Feel 18 Pack, Batch Number 1000434066, Expiry Date Jan-2021
These batches do not pass the requirements for burst pressure towards the end of the shelf life of the product.
There are no immediate safety concerns, and no other products have been affected, Durex said.